We know our restoration community is facing many challenges during these uncertain times. clean-ups have been cancelled, plantings postponed, and field trips suspended, but we’re also seeing positivity and hope spread online!
The RAE Alliance, made up of 10 organizations across the country, are jumping in to provide resources and tools to see us through this difficult time. Now that we’re staying home, why not learn about ospreys on the Chesapeake Bay, all the way from the Puget Sound?
If you’ve got little ones at home in need of some fun education, or are simply looking for a few minutes of relaxation, check out these resources below. As new tools are developed, we will send them out!
Restore America’s Estuaries
- Estuary Basics – Introductory information about estuaries, perfect for kids!
- Living Shorelines Academy – Dive deeper into all things living shorelines
American Littoral Society
- Saving Jamaica Bay – Free documentary following the residents of Jamaica Bay, NY as they battle to protect the rich ecosystem of the Bay
- Veterans Reef – Hear about ALS’s work with veterans along NJ shores
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Learn Outside, Learn at Home – CBF’s hub for educational resources
- Nature Journaling – Learn how to get started on a nature journal
- Ask an Expert Video Series – Explore answers to your most asked questions about the Bay
- CBF Learn Outside Facebook Group – At-home learning resources will be added to this group
Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana
- Wetland Species of the Week – Follow along on Twitter & Facebook to guess the species
- Oyster Shell Recycling – Check out these participating restaurants to see if they’re currently offering delivery or take-away
Galveston Bay Foundation
- Keep Your Stress At Bay Video Series – Relax with calming videos from the Bay
- At Home With The Bay Virtual Field Trips – Includes weekly conservation videos and activities. New video each week!
- Blue Carbon Video – Take an introductory look at blue carbon in the Snohomish Estuary
North Carolina Coastal Federation
- Coastal Review Online – A daily news service covering North Carolina’s coast
- Regional Fact Sheets – Learn new information about restoration projects and successes
Save The Bay – Narragansett
- Breakfast by the Bay Facebook live stream – Includes virtual mini-lessons airing every weekday at 10 a.m. EST. Each broadcast highlights a different topic, from fish species to Bay habitats, engages questions from viewers in real-time, and provides resources for follow-up activities. View past episodes on their YouTube page!
Save The Bay – San Francisco
- Backyard Bird Watching – Check out this guide to identify birds in your backyard
- Backyard Botanist – Teach kids about the types of plants you may find outside
- Bay Stories That Inspire – Read inspiring and heartfelt stories about passionate people for a quick pick-me-up
Save the Sound
- Lunchtime Webinars – Hear directly from experts working in the field, includes past webinars
- 50 Days of Earth Day – Celebrate Earth Day with Save the Sound on their Instagram